GRAND GORILLA TOUR
In southwest Uganda at the edge of the western Great Rift Valley, hugging the border of the Democratic Republic of Congo, lies Bwindi Forest. Theatrical mountain formations are swathed in 331 square kilometers of the thick tropical forest that earned the name Bwindi (impenetrable). Deep in the undergrowth, we encounter families of mountain gorillas in the intimacy of their own home. Almost every visitor of this secluded habitat describes the meeting as a moving, near spiritual experience never to be forgotten.
3 DAYS | 2 NIGHTS
- Hike and encounter gorilla families in Bwindi Forest
- Relax in intimate accommodation with spectacular views
Day One: Head for the Hills
We traverse the rolling hills of the southwestern landscape on our way to Bwindi Forest National Park, where we check into Gorilla Valley Lodge. This simple, elegant lodge sits at the border of the forest and offers spectacular sweeping views over the forest and the Great Albertine Rift Valley.
Day Two: A Timeless Realm
We venture into Bwindi Forest on foot and enter a world suspended outside of time. The undergrowth thrives with diverse plants, mammals, and birds. It’s a grueling task to press on through walls of vines and vegetation as our hearts pump from effort and anticipation.
It may be minutes or hours before we come upon a gorilla family, but when we finally do, the encounter sweeps us into a timeless moment. We watch the juveniles play as the impressive adults groom and keep a sly but watchful eye on their human visitors, and in this moment a feeling of kinship rises to close the gap that grew between us and our primate relatives over millennia. We descend, elated and arrested in a timeless moment to be told and retold for years to come.
Day Three: Return to Entebbe
From the edge of the divine forest, we depart, back to Entebbe. As we cross the equator, back into the northern hemisphere, we feel the distance of the impenetrable forest. But the memory lingers close by, accompanying us as we journey on, homeward bound.
- All Meals and accommodation as per the itinerary
- All ground transportation in a comfortable 4×4 vehicle
- Park entrance fees
- Services of a full time English speaking driver/guide
- Water while on safari
- All airport pick-ups and drops
- All activities at stipulated in the itinerary
- And all government taxes/levies.
- Gorilla permit ($600; we book for you)
- Phone calls and bar bills
- Personal insurance
- Air fare
- All other services of a personal nature
- Driver guide’s gratuity
- No accommodation on day 3 though it can be arranged at an extra cost
- Activities not mentioned in the itinerary